Course Duration One Year Full-time
Leads to NFQ Level 5 QQI Award in Journalism
With technology playing an ever-greater role in journalism and the wider media industry, this course aims to provide students with the practical knowledge to aid their progression to higher education while instilling core communications skills to enhance their employment prospects in journalistic and broader fields.
Successful completion of this course opens up a range of alternative course options as outlined opposite. This is a sample of the possible courses that can be accessed.
Particular emphasis is placed on the traditional qualities of writing, research, initiative and attention to detail. Students are also given instruction on the use of industry-standard software such as Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Premiere, Audition and Dreamweaver.
Open to those who have completed the Leaving Certificate or its equivalent. Entry is also open to students with good written English and a keen interest in journalism. Mature applicants are welcome. Evidence of writing ability will strongly aid your application.
Students who successfully complete this course can proceed via the Higher Education Links Scheme to the Journalism programmes at DCU (DC132) and Dublin Institute of Technology (DT582). Successful completion can also open a path to a broader range of degree programmes such as:
- Communications – DCU (DC131)
- European Studies – NUI Maynooth (MH108)
- Philosophy, Politics and Economics – NUI Maynooth (MH120)
- Law and Society (BCL) - DCU (DC232)
- Bachelor of Arts (Joint Honours) - UCD (DN500)
- Film and Broadcasting (DIT 504)
- Creative Digital Media - IT Tallaght or IT Blanchardstown (TA022/BN021)
- English, Media and Cultural Studies - IADT (DL821)
For full information on progression through the Higher Education Links Scheme please go to www.qqi.ie and contact the relevant universities and colleges.
- News Writing
- Feature Writing
- Online Journalism
- Newspaper Layout and Design
- Public Relations
- Radio and Sound Production
- TV and Video Production
- Media Analysis
- Work Experience