The Psychological Support Service (PSS) was established in January 1992 by County Dublin Vocational Education Committee to address the special needs of schools and centres in the scheme. The Service is made available to second level Schools, Colleges of Further Education, Youthreach Programmes, Traveller Training Centres and VTOS programmes. The model adopted for the operation of the Service incorporates a multidisciplinary approach directed towards:
- The resolution, through assessment and therapeutic intervention, of behavioural, motivational, emotional, and cognitive difficulties of individually referred persons.
- Preventative work with target groups.
- Professional support of teaching staff in relation to persons referred individually and to other professional issues.
- Personal support of teaching staff in relation to school or centre issues.
- Support of parents, both in relation to individually referred young persons and other school or centre-related issues.
- Placement of Intern or Trainee Psychologists.